ImageOptim is a free app that makes images take up less disk space and load faster, without sacrificing quality. It optimizes compression parameters, removes junk metadata and unnecessary colour profiles.
Read the entire article at ImageOptim — better Save For Web
ImageOptim is a great piece of free software (open-source, and free) to reduce the amount of space an image takes up on a hard drive, without any loss in quality.
Here are the main reasons why I would recommend this piece of software to anyone who uses a Mac:
- Gets amazing results
- Super easy to use
- Saves over the original image (no need to duplicate or ‘save as’)
- Runs locally, no need for an Internet connection
- Can be run straight from the Finder ‘Services’ menu
- Robust. It has never crashed on me
It is not perfect:
- Some images take a fair while to get optimised (not ages, but it is noticeable)
It can be downloaded here for free.